Peppers Portage, Marlborough Sounds
Getting to Peppers Portage is a breeze. Its central location makes it easy to reach by water, road or air from all over New Zealand. The boutique retreat is easily accessible by water taxi from Picton or via road.
Cougar Line is our preferred water transport service based in Picton. Their time tables are designed around the arrival times of the inter-island ferries from Wellington. Please find their schedule below.
Departures from Picton to Torea (Portage) (onwards to outer Sounds)
8.00 am, 10.00 am and 01.30 pm
Additional departures during summer 05.30 pm (please enquire)
Departures from Torea (Portage) to Picton
11.45 am and 4.15 pm
The scenic Queen Charlotte Drive and the Kenpuru Road. These roads are winding their way along the coastline between Picton and Portage Bay and offer spectacular views of the Marlborough Sounds.
Note, estimated travel time by road is 1.5 hours due to the nature of this road.
For special occasions or when time is of the essence, a helicopter offers a spectacular way to arrive.
The main travel entry points to the Marlborough region are:
- Marlborough Airport, Blenheim – frequent scheduled flights from all major New Zealand cities (Estimated travel time to Picton: 30 minutes)
- Koromiko Airport, Picton – regular flights from Wellington by Sounds Air. Shuttle into Picton is available .
- Ferry Terminal, Picton – Interislander & Bluebridge ferries from Wellington to Picton.
- State Highway 6 – from Christchurch (Estimated travel time: 5.5 hours)
- State Highway 6 – from Nelson. (Estimated travel time: 4 hours)
GPS coordinates: -41.2275615,173.9223732